Lily Poisoning In Cats

These  flowers are deadly to cats. Cat owners need to be aware that having these flowers in your home can prove fatal. Lily poisoning causes acute kidney failure & if you suspect your cat has eaten any, prompt veterinary attention is of utmost importance.

Please be aware there are several species of lily which can be poisonous to cats. Any part of the plant is poisonous & only a tiny amount (less than one leaf) needs to be eaten to cause poisoning.

What are the symptoms of lily poisoning in cats?

The first signs of lily poisoning occur 30 minutes to 2 hours after ingestion & include  vomiting, depression & loss of appetite.

Vomiting usually subsides a few hours after exposure but this doesn’t mean your cat is making a recovery. As the toxin starts to affect the kidneys depression, excessive thirst (polydipsia) & lethargy will occur.  Acute renal failure usually occurs between 1 – 3 days after ingestion, and death will follow within 5 days.

How is lily poisoning diagnosed?

Your veterinarian will require information on your cat’s history, including any possible exposure to poisons  it may have ingested. Several tests will be run to determine the condition of the kidneys.

How is lily poisoning treated?

Prompt medical treatment is absolutely vital, the sooner your cat sees a vet, the better. Even with veterinary attention there is no guarantee that your cat will survive, but the chances greatly decrease if treatment isn’t commenced within 6 hours of exposure.

Treatment is supportive & includes intravenous fluid therapy.